Where's the rum Pt. 3 - Angostura

Posted by Rich on 10:31:00 AM with No comments
As a Trinidadian, the name Angostura is synonymous with the ever popular (and best selling product)
Forrest Park Puncheon- a highly distilled over proofed rum which boasts alcohol percentage in excess of 70% per volume. While this type of rum is not the topic of my blog, I thought it was worth mentioning out of sheer popularity.
In is regular line-up the only rum worthy of mention as a sipping rum is the 1824. It is a 12 yr old blended rum. Over the last few years, the presentation has gone through some changes that I consider a bit of a step backward when compared with the original wax sealed bottle.



Regardless, this rum is worth the try although it is a bit pricey (about US$45 for 750ml) I definitely recommend putting this on your list.

Now on to the real stars. The LIMITED EDITIONS.

First up is Legacy.
Touted as the world's most expensive rum by Angostura themselves, a 500ml bottle will run you a meager US$25,000.00 but don't be disheartened, it comes in a exquisite hand made wooden case lined with leather on the outside and silk in the inside and lead crystal decanter with jewelry designed topper.  A steal of a deal if ever there was.


Next up we have No.1 of which there are two versions; The No1 French and the No1. The difference? You can probably only find the No1 French now as there were 9,600 bottles made initially but the No.1 which was released in December 2015 had 15,030 bottles available.


I've had the pleasure of tasting both of these rums. While a bit lighter and sharper than the rums I would usually try, it is complex enough to hold your attention. If you can find it, I recommend this is best enjoyed over ice or neat only.



Last up is Siegert's 190 and I think I've saved the best for last in this regard. Also limited edition there were only about 25,000 bottles made but you can find the odd bottle at the local higher end liquor marts. Dark and spicy, this rum is one of my favorites and a bit of a collector's item. I highly recommend .