Sipping Rum with a Liqueur - choice #1 Cointreau

Posted by Rich on 9:43:00 AM with No comments
So if you've been following my blog up to this point we've covered a few of the nicer sipping rums in the Caribbean/Latin Americas. We also discussed how to consume them and some tips and tricks for cooling down the warm spiciness of these sipping rums either with- or without ice.

Now we're going to talk about adding some additional flavor to these rums.



First up? Cointreau. A sophisticated orange flavored triple-sec
Traditionally used in cake making and other culinary purposes, I first discovered this partly by accident. I had the weird notion to change an ordinary, less aged rum to taste more like Pyrat (see rums from Anguilla). Looked in my home bar and there was an un-opened bottle of Cointreau. I added a dash and the rest was history.

I highly recommend adding a dash of Cointreau to Zacapa XO, Appleton, and Ron Barceló Imperial

The history of this liqueur is also quite interesting, beginning in 1849 with the Cointreau brothers.

Read more here